Blues rock is a favorite genre of many, which is why it should be of no surprise that you’ve listened to some or all of these 10 best blues rock bands. Blues bands first began to take off in the 1960s, as rock bands infused blues elements into their compositions. Many even blended blues with other genres like psychedelic or Southern rock. Nonetheless, these 10 best blues bands created some best loved tunes.
1. The Allman Brothers Band. The Allman Brothers Band was one of the first to incorporate blues into their style, mixing it with other elements, including Southern rock, country rock, and jam. As one of the 10 best blues bands, some of their top songs include “Whipping Post,” “Midnight Rider,” and their cover of Blind Willie McTell’s “Statesboro Blues.”
2. Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin is certainly one of the 10 best blues rock bands of all time and also definitely one of the best known, as well. Some great blues rock songs they recorded were actually covers, including “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You” and “You Shook Me.
3. Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company. Janis Joplin is known for her bluesy vocals, which fared her well during her time with Big Brother and the Holding Company. One of their biggest hits together was their cover of “Piece of My Heart.”
4. The Rolling Stones. The Rolling Stones are one of the greatest bands of all time, and certainly one of the best blues bands. Some of their best blues infused rock songs include “It’s All Over Now” and their cover of “Little Red Rooster.
5. Ten Years After. Ten Years After was a popular English blues-rock band in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Best known for their song “I’d Love To Change the World,” among others, the group was one of the best blues rock bands of that era.
6. The Yardbirds. The Yardbirds is an English rock band that went through many lineup changes throughout the years, but started the careers of many musical greats, including Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, and Jimmy Page. Some of their top blues style songs include “Over Under Sideways Down” and “Heart Full of Soul.”
7. Cream. The psychedelic blues-rock band Cream were a well known 1960s British supergroup. Their songs ranged in style from traditional blues like “Crossroads” to more modern blues songs like “Born Under a Bad Sign.”
8. The Doors. The Doors, most famously fronted by vocalist Jim Morrison, were a popular American rock band that formed in 1965. Some of their best known blues rock songs include “Riders on the Storm” and “Love Her Madly.”
9. Canned Heat. This interpretive blues band reached widespread fame just a few years after their 1965 formation. Some of this blue band’s most well known songs include “Going Up the Country” and “On the Road Again.
10. The Animals. Best known for their rendition of the folk song “House of the Rising Sun,” The Animals proved themselves to be one of the best blues rock bands. Some other hits of theirs include “It’s My Life” and “We Gotta Get Out of This Place.”
Enjoy these 10 best blues rock bands the next time you’re in the mood for a good jam.
You can read more of my music articles here.