As a Hawaiian resident I believe that the following are the 10 best places in Hawaii for a family vacation. As budgets for vacations shrink in today’s economy, some people have chosen to vacation closer to home and take advantage of the wonderful sights and scenery that Hawaii has to offer.
1. Kailua Kona, Big Island. Black sand beaches, local arts and crafts in little shops along the way and a small town feeling makes going to Kailua Kona awesome. It’s relaxing there and not as crowded as Oahu.
2. Hilo, Big Island. I go there to see the lava flow from the volcano, at Volcano National Park and the telescopes up at Mauna Kea visitor’s center. The farmer’s market is nice near Pahoa, there are good restaurants in Pahoa and Hilo, the warm ponds is nice, and there are super friendly people.
3. Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu. It’s a nice resort for a family vacation. There’s a lot to do in Waikiki and you’re right on the beach. The restaurants and spa and shopping is awesome.
4. Turtle Bay resort located on the North Shore of the island of Oahu. Beautiful scenery away from the city, very quiet, nice landscapes. You can visit the Polynesian Culture Center and Waimea Falls.
5. Lihue and Kapaa, Kauai. There’s so much to see on Kauai, lush gardens and giant waterfalls, canoeing and kayaking down Wailua river, small storefronts, and the famous Scotty’s BBQ restaurant just to name a few.
6. Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island. It’s right on the beach, beautiful lagoon and swimming pools, lots of activities and water sports, and all kinds of fun for the whole family.
7. Westin Maui on the island of Maui. It’s a luxury resort with lots of water slides, swimming pools that are amazing, and there are waterfalls too. There are simply lots to do and it’s a wonderful place to relax and pamper yourself and your family.
8. Bellows Beach Park on Oahu. This is a perfect place for camping, picnics, swimming, surfing, and body boarding. You need to get a pass to camp there and if you are military or have a family or friend that is in the military they can rent a cabin for you at Bellows.
9. The Kahala Mandarin hotel on Oahu. It’s right on the beach and it’s a nice quiet place to get away to. Kahala mall is nearby for shopping and movies. You can kayak and kite surf around that area.
10. Camp Erdman or Camp Pupukea on Oahu. You can rent rustic cabins and go camping with the family. Hike, picnic, and just be outdoors in the mountains. The good thing about it is there are no snakes in Hawaii.
Those are on my list of the top 10 best places in Hawaii for a family vacation depending on what your budget is. You can go to a luxury resort, hop on a plane to a neighbor island with your family, or opt for a more basic rugged outdoor camping experience.