Zumba (pronounced Zoom buh) is the latest fitness craze to sweep not only the nation, but the entire world! Zumba is an exciting fitness program combining simple dance moves with a hypnotic Latin beat. Zumba parties are being held all over the world. Zumba has even been done at Carnival! Zumba, also available on DVD is being taught in over 75 countries world-wide.
Zumba was originated from forgetfulness: creator, “Beto” Perez forgot his aerobic music on his way to teach a class. The only music he had were his Latin dance tapes so Perez improvised and Zumba was born. Zumba has teamed with Kellogg’s to promote fitness and health and has been recommended by a slew of health groups. Read on to find out why Zumba is so good for you!
1. Zumba combines resistance training with fast and slow intervals to keep your body confused, increase fat burning, and sculpt muscles. The varying rhythms keep your body from learning the routine. If you keep your body confused, you won’t hit a fitness or weight-loss plateau.
2. Zumba is easy to follow. Zumba dance moves are pretty basic. You repeat a lot of the same moves, so Zumba is really easy to learn. You can head to your first Zumba class and still get a great workout because you won’t be completely lost.
3. Zumba is credited with improving coordination. Those uncoordinated gym rats out there touting the benefits of Zumba have said the fun dance moves have made them much more coordinated. Your body just functions better, meaning you arms and legs learn how to move. Zumba won’t turn you into a prima ballerina, but Zumba will get your body moving all together and definitely improves your muscle tone. Deb Bogan, a Zumba Fanatic claims she was completely uncoordinated and now can stand on one leg as long as she needs to.
4. Zumba improves mental clarity. Learning new Zumba moves gives your brain a good workout as well as your body. Zumba releases your inhibitions and lets you let your mind go. Zumba provides a little mental vacation while working your body, mind, and spirit.
5. Most exercise routines focus on a specific area. Not Zumba! Zumba gives your core an intense workout creating killer abs, while increasing long, lean muscle growth in your arms and legs. Zumba creates a sexy lithe dancer’s body.
6. Zumba is fast! You’ll burn tons of calories. Depending on your fitness level, you can burn up to and perhaps beyond 1,000 calories in one Zumba session. It doesn’t take a lot of work to lose weight with Zumba.
7. The fun, fast-paced Latin beat puts you in a good mood. Zumba rhythms are so upbeat and fun they make you feel free and happy. You could be in the worst mood and you will still leave a Zumba session with a smile on your face. People really let go when they do Zumba. They laugh and sing along with the music while they do Zumba.
8. Zumba comes in several levels. Zumba Basic is for those who are used to exercise. Zumba Gold is a low impact workout that still offers a great cardiovascular workout. Zumba Gold is a great place to start when you aren’t used to getting your heart rate up. Zumba Gold is also perfect for seniors. No one is left out of the Zumba craze.
9. Zumba is fun! A lot of workouts feel like a punishment. You forget your working out when you do Zumba. Zumba Fanatics all over the world have been hosting Zumba parties. Because Zumba is so much fun it’s an easy program to stick with. Even if you don’t want to get up off your patookie, just a few minutes of Zumba gets you motivated. If your exercise program is so much fun people want to do it at parties, how could you not stick with it?
10. Because Zumba is such an easy program to stick with, you will actually start seeing results and experiencing the long-term benefits of a regular cardiovascular workout. Even fitness instructors, like Maria McCalister from Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, who are among the most fit, are losing weight and sculpting muscle with Zumba. Zumba allows the people who have never been able to stick with a diet and exercise plan to sleep better, have more energy, increased stamina, increased bone density, lower blood pressure, and all of the other benefits of a regular cardio program. Zumba is bringing fitness to the fitness challenged and unmotivated masses and making it almost impossible not to get fit.